Welcome to the Standards of Lithium-ion Batteries course.
A lithium-ion battery or Li-ion battery is a type of rechargeable battery in which lithium ions move from the negative electrode to the positive electrode during discharge and back when charging. To develop Li-ion batteries many organizations have established standards that address lithium-ion battery safety, performance, testing, and maintenance. This course will help you understand why do we need standards, what are the standards for li-ion batteries, and the challenges faced during the process.
This course will provide an overview of
- Basics of Lithium-ion batteries and introduction to different chemistries
- Safety challenges and hazards of Lithium-ion batteries
- Global standards – UL, IEC and other standards
- Indian standards – development and publications
- Dr. Rashi Gupta
- Dr. Judy Jeevarajan
- Shri Shyam Kumar
- Ms. Laurie Florence
Duration: ~ 1 hour 30 min
Important Note: This course is the first of the Masterclass Series on Safety and Standards of Energy Storage Systems jointly organized by IESA and Underwriters Laboratories Inc.
About Masterclass Series on Safety and Standards of Energy Storage Systems:
The transportation and energy ecosystems are undergoing a dynamic transition globally with a paradigm shift from lead-acid to lithium-ion batteries. With the increased demand for electric vehicles and stationary energy, energy storage systems are becoming a necessity of these ecosystems.
As we scale up production and usage of energy storage systems, it is critical to establish, understand and follow standards and safety precautions to avoid future predicaments.
On this background, IESA in association with Underwriters Laboratories Inc. brings a Masterclass Series on Safety and Standards of Energy Storage Systems that will help participants understand different ESS standards and their implementation.
Standards for Lithium-ion Batteries is the first session from the masterclass. The remaining sessions from the Masterclass Series on Safety and Standards of Energy Storage Systems are:
- Introduction to Standards and Standard Development Process
- Standards for Transportation of Lithium-ion Batteries
- Standards for Energy Storage System
- Standards for Electric Vehicle
- The standard for Repurposed Batteries and Recycling of Batteries
- Battery Fires in Stationary Grid ESS and EV: Challenges and Mitigation Plans