Standards for Transportation of Lithium-ion Batteries
Free for IESA Members.
Welcome to the Standards for Transportation of Lithium-ion Batteries course.
Lithium-ion battery has shipping restrictions because they can potentially catch fire if damaged during transit. However, by following safety measures and standards we can ship them by air. Air transportation of lithium-ion batteries is only allowed when the batteries are shipped inside their respective devices or in the same package accompanying the device they power. In this course, we will help you understand why lithium-ion batteries are hazardous, what safety measures to take while transporting and what are UN regulations for transporting lithium-ion batteries?
This course will provide an understanding of
- Lithium-ion battery hazards
- Battery safety challenges
- Test set up (UL ESRI Project)
- UN regulations for transportation of lithium-ion batteries
- Test configuration of pouch format cell
- Thermal runaway incident program (TRIP)
- Dr. Judy Jeevarajan
- Mr David Wroth
Duration:~ 1hour 30min
This Program is Good for Those Who Are:
- Battery Consultants, Engineers, Technicians, Designers and Quality Management Professionals from
- Electric vehicles
- Stationary Energy Storage System
- Battery Management Systems
- Battery Manufacturers
- ESS Start-ups
- Teaching professionals and engineering students
Important Note: This course is the first of the Masterclass Series on Safety and Standards of Energy Storage Systems jointly organized by IESA and Underwriters Laboratories Inc.
About Masterclass Series on Safety and Standards of Energy Storage Systems:
The transportation and energy ecosystems are undergoing a dynamic transition globally with a paradigm shift from lead-acid to lithium-ion batteries. With the increased demand for electric vehicles and stationary energy, energy storage systems are becoming a necessity of these ecosystems.
As we scale up production and usage of energy storage systems, it is critical to establish, understand and follow standards and safety precautions to avoid future predicaments.
On this background, IESA in association with Underwriters Laboratories Inc. brings a Masterclass Series on Safety and Standards of Energy Storage Systems that will help participants understand different ESS standards and their implementation.
Standards for Lithium-ion Batteries is the first session from the masterclass. The remaining sessions from the Masterclass Series on Safety and Standards of Energy Storage Systems are:
- Introduction to Standards and Standard Development Process
- Standards for Lithium-ion Batteries
- Standards for Energy Storage System
- Standards for Electric Vehicle
- The standard for Repurposed Batteries and Recycling of Batteries
- Battery Fires in Stationary Grid ESS and EV: Challenges and Mitigation Plans